What is a Single Sign-On?
Single Sign-On (SSO) is an
authentication that allows the users to log into several accounts with the help
of a single window that acts as the base log in for the websites that follow
after it. For example, when a user is logged in to his Google account, the
credentials serve as the basis for the consequent accounts or websites that are
going to be visited by the user. This is a step towards saving time and data
consumption as the existing information is used to log in for a large number of
accounts thereby making it simple and easy.
main advantage of having an SSO is that the rate of hacking and login
troubleshooting is decreased which acts as the major attraction that is
provided by the software which is beneficial to the users in the long run. SSO
system also acts as the identity card for the users that use multiple accounts
in different websites and applications. It is just like a ticket or an id that
is given to user at the time of purchase for further use. When a website is
able to catch a proof of identity within the primary account, the consequent
login information is not necessary for the proper functioning of the account in
How does SSO work?
functioning of an SSO is simple and easy to understand. The main aspect in the
SSO platform is authentication that happens with the help of login credentials
that are given by an individual for just one single time. The information is
stored in the website database for future reference which is another advantage
of the SSO system. The following steps detail the procedure in which SSO works
in a single definitive and real timeframe.
a user opens a fresh website page without prior login to Google account, the
website asks for information like the email, username and password. This is to
check if that user has a personal account on the web suite. If a user has no
account, then an account is created by them so that the same is used for future
a user has a Google or any mail account, they need not login again separately.
The information is required only if the user is not already logged in or has no
prior account information or details.
a user provides with the information/login details, then the website
crosschecks within the existing database and the authentication is either
accepted or rejected based on the result of the search on the website database.
Benefits of SSO to Users
SSO provides a wide range of benefits and they are as follows:
- Transparency: Here, the users know what kind of information is being shared by the website and it is totally the user’s decision to either share the login credentials or not.
- Convenience: SSO acts as a single login website for the subsequent usage as the user does not have to login again to send information and credentials for every website or application that they may visit.
- Speed: SSO as mentioned earlier is fast paced which means that it saves a lot of time for the users as they need not give out the information every single time they visit a particular website. The background search in the database acts as a filter to help the users and eventually save a lot of time and connectivity.
- Security: SSO is secure in nature. There is a very low risk or completely no risk of data threat or stealing of data provided by the users. This is guarded with the help of security firewalls which act as the barrier to any kind of security breach that may happen in the long run.
- Increase in Users: The advanced technology provided by SSO increases the number of users to sign up as it is secure and can be trusted as a brand which ultimately increases the brand image.
- Lesser Risks: there are less chances of hacking and phishing attacks. This is a major advantage to the companies as they provide a safe and protected online environment thereby making it as the best step forward to the company as well as the user.
- Data Collection: Data collection is made easy as one need not login multiple times for the same user. There are no hassles involved and the time is saved as it is single sign in technology.
- Easy Authentication: authentication is made easy with SSO as the same data is required for multiple accounts which are already stored by the website.
this way, it can be said that SSO when used across different online websites
and platforms serves like an array of information that is already stored in the
network database and can be used whenever and wherever it is necessary. SSO is
helpful to integrate information and also keep the data threats and hacking
attacks at bay, simplifies the password management and improves identity
protection, thereby making it the potential feature in the AI sector.